Saturday, December 10, 2005

All Children left behind.

While far from a dewy eyed recent college grad, I received my teaching credential in May. I then signed an Early Contract with LAUSD - was told it was an honor of sorts and that I would have the right to refuse a permanent assignment.

I've discovered the Contract to more closely resemble indentured servitude.

I was given a "hiring advocate" that was theoretically to help me find a job but seemed to have been abducted by aliens as I never heard from her again - despite numerous calls/emails/faxes on my part. Nevertheless, found myself a job at a good school. Started off - got "displaced". (Too many teachers, dropping enrollment - wonder why?- last one hired, first to go.)

Was thrown into the District Pool, given a long term assignment that was supposed to end 12/16 but found out on 12/2 that the teacher decided to come back from maternity leave early (and had reported this 2 weeks prior but no one saw fit to tell me) and that Monday I was to begin a permanent job with a 4th grade class in Da' Hood. I've taught in the inner city before and know it can be a magical experience if the administration is strong. Could I at least interview for the position prior to accepting it? (as I was told I could).

"No, not if you want to stay employed by the District. Show up Monday."

Dial tone.

I showed up. I've survived one week. Barley. Rumor has it that the original teacher could never get the class in control and simply gave up and quit. Don't blame her - I'm considering throwing in the towel and steaming milk at Starbucks.

There are 30 kids - 15 are there to learn - 15 are there to destroy. Of those troubled 15; 7 are absolute nightmares. The types that, one or two, ruin a room - but seven?! The class has gone through 9 subs since November - indeed, the school has a very hard time getting subs at all and usually has to split up a class when someone is absent. (on my 3rd day, I had to take in some fifth graders, who basically sat in the back and phoned it in for the day). It appears the administration has washed their hands of the situation and the school has been left to run wild. Literally.

While I can get the class settled (slightly) in the room, there is no accountability school wide so when I take them to recess or lunch, all hell breaks loose. They have apparently never walked in line properly and do not listen to the playground staff, will not line up, etc. I was so frustrated trying to wrangle them after lunch on the 2nd day that when I finally managed to track them all down (as they continue to play, deface property, or fight - lots of fights - despite being yelled at to line up by the megaphone carrying staff), I marched all 30 of them into the main office and asked to the AP to please explain the rules for after lunch as they apparently did not understand. Later, I spoke with the principal who begrudgingly admits the class is out of control but then feeds me the party line about "positive reinforcement" and "giving kids a chance."

I'm so angry because the fact is they've let this situation grow to its current state of chaos through inattention or incompetence and now I am expected to clean up their mess. Also, it is parent/conference week and they took the liberty of scheduling conferences for me - despite the fact that I started four hours prior. How stupid is that? Plus - I just DID a week of conferences (i.e. unpaid overtime) at the previous school.

Friday wasn't as bad due only to the fact that the Magnificent 7 was suspended because Thursday they jumped another kid on the playground during a supposedly supervised recess and the victim's mother is pressing charges as apparently this is the fourth or fifth time it has happened and Principal does nothing. Because LAPD got involved, however, Principal had to suspend them so I got a day of partial reprieve (some gems were still there but I can manage when it is only two or three of 'em).

This Principal has no business running this school. I've contacted the District and the Union and have basically been told chin up, show up, and shut up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home